Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/52804
Title: Bioaccumulation of heavy metals (Cd, Pb, and Hg) in wawo worms (Polychaeta, Annelida) from Ambon Coastal Waters, Indonesia
Authors: Liline, Sintje
Rumahlatu, Dominggus
Keywords: Ambon island;Bioaccumulation;Heavy metals;wawo worms
Issue Date: Dec-2019
Publisher: NISCAIR-CSIR, India
Abstract: Heavy metals contamination in coastal waters is an environmental problem that has recently received serious attention. The accumulation of heavy metals in aquatic organisms can cause cell damage in humans who consume them. One of the organisms that can absorb heavy metals is the laor or wawo worm (Polychaeta) which is often consumed by the people in Ambon. This research was conducted to analyze heavy metals bioaccumulation in these worms. The heavy metals (Cd, Pb, and Hg) content in the marine waters and wawo worms was measured using AAS (Absorption Atomic Spectrophotometer). The results of the present research indicate fluctuation in heavy metals distribution in the water columns and wawo worms which were collected from three different locations. There was a significant relationship between heavy metals content in the water columns and the wawo worms. The coefficient of determination (0.424) showed that 42.4 % of heavy metals contained in the marine worms were affected by the heavy metals content in the water meanwhile the rest (57.6 %) was regulated by other variables that were not included in the current investigation.
Page(s): 1881-1887
URI: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/52804
ISSN: 0975-1033 (Online); 0379-5136 (Print)
Appears in Collections:IJMS Vol.48(12) [December 2019]

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
IJMS 48(12) 1881-1887.pdf764.17 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in NOPR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.