NISCAIR Online Periodicals Repository

NISCAIR ONLINE PERIODICALS REPOSITORY (NOPR)  >
NISCAIR PUBLICATIONS >
Research Journals >
Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research (JSIR) >
JSIR Vol.65 [2006] >
JSIR Vol.65(04) [April 2006] >


Title: Bioremediation of oil sludge contaminated soil by co-composting with sewage sludge
Authors: Ling, Chua Choon
Isa, Mohamed Hasnain
Keywords: Bioremediation
Co-composting
Refinery oil sludge
Sewage sludge
Issue Date: Apr-2006
Publisher: CSIR
IPC CodeC05F7/00; E02D31/00
Abstract: This study determined the optimum ratio of contaminated soil to sewage sludge (organic amendments) in enhancing the biodegradation of refinery oil sludge. It also evaluated the treatment efficiency of refinery oil sludge by composting and the effect of sewage sludge addition on the biodegradation of refinery oil sludge. Experiments were conducted in six laboratory scale composting bins, each with 5 kg of soil. The composters were kept at 23-25 °C in a laboratory. The soil was spiked with petroleum refinery oil sludge (10%, dry weight basis). All composters were supplemented with grass (bulking agent) at a soil-to-grass ratio of 1:0.5 (v/v). The ratios of contaminated soil to sewage sludge were 1:0 (control), 1:0.1, 1:0.3, 1:0.5, 1:0.7 and 1:1 (w/w). The contents of each composter were tilled and well mixed weekly after which samples were drawn for analysis. The experiment showed enhanced biodegradation of oil and grease due to sewage sludge addition. The maximum oil and grease removal achieved was 65.6% over the 9 week study period under low temperature conditions, for the contaminated soil to sewage sludge ratio of 1:0.5. The remaining (34.4 %) was considered recalcitrant; stubbornly adsorbed onto soil particles and/or trapped in soil macro and micro pores and thus non-available to microorganisms.
Page(s): 364-369
ISSN: 0975-1084 (Online); 0022-4456 (Print)
Source:JSIR Vol.65(04) [April 2006]

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
JSIR 65(4) 364-369.pdf122.66 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
 Current Page Visits: 732 
Recommend this item

 

National Knowledge Resources Consortium |  NISCAIR Website |  Contact us |  Feedback

Disclaimer: NISCAIR assumes no responsibility for the statements and opinions advanced by contributors. The editorial staff in its work of examining papers received for publication is helped, in an honorary capacity, by many distinguished engineers and scientists.

CC License Except where otherwise noted, the Articles on this site are licensed under Creative Commons License: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India

Copyright © 2012 The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. All rights reserved.

Powered by DSpace Copyright © 2002-2007 MIT and Hewlett-Packard | Compliant to OAI-PMH V 2.0

Home Page Total Visits: 603994 since 06-Feb-2009  Last updated on 21-Oct-2014Webmaster: nopr@niscair.res.in