Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/27922
Title: International channel of communication of biophysics literature
Authors: Sengupta, I N
Deshpande, K S
Issue Date: Dec-1986
Publisher: NISCAIR-CSIR, India
Abstract: Tracing the history of biophysics literature presents an analysis of 3515 citations published in 438 journals taking Annual Review of Biophysics Vol. 7 (1978) - Vol. 8 (1979) as source. The analysis reveals that 82.3% citations (i.e. 2893) are covered by first 100 journals and the rest of 17.7% citations (i.e. 624) are covered by the remaining 338 journals. Further analysis shows that primary journals account of 83.2% citations, non-primary serials cover 6.1% and non-serial publications account for the remaining 10.7% citations. A ranked-list of first 100 journals form the main communication channels and amongst other channels biochemistry journals dominate over other subjects. With regard to scatter 60% of significant literature of biophysics is covered by the first 25 journals only and the rest by 413 periodicals. The findings thus prove the validity of Sengupta's Law of Bibliometrics.
Page(s): 143-149
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/27922
ISSN: 0975-2404 (Online); 0972-5423 (Print)
Appears in Collections:ALIS Vol.33(4) [December 1986]

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
ALIS 33(4) 143-149.pdf1.72 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in NOPR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.