Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/19331
Title: Proxies for solar EUV in cycle 23
Authors: Kane, R P
Keywords: Solar EUV;Solar cycle;Solar radio emission;Sunspot
Issue Date: Aug-2004
Publisher: NISCAIR-CSIR, India
PACS No.: 96.60.Qc; 96.60.Tf; 94.20.Vv
Abstract: For daily values in a strong 27-day sequence, lasting for more than 8 months, correlations of solar EUV with solar F10 radio emission were, sometimes, found to be lower than those with solar Mg II core-to-wing index, sometimes higher, and sometimes almost the same. Correlations of EUV with the UV Si III and Lyman-α were found to be mostly higher than those with F10 and Mg II. In contrast to the correlations for long-term changes (0.95 or more), the maximum correlations for short-term changes (daily values) were only -0.80, implying an explained variance of only -65%, leaving -35% unexplained. Hence, estimates of daily EUV using F10 and Mg II as proxies could have uncertainties of several tens of percent. For intermediate and long-term changes, EUV was very highly correlated with F10. Mg II and Lyman-α (and to some extent even with sunspots) during years of low and medium sunspot activity (1996-1999) of cycle 23. The Mg II had a slight superiority over F10, but both could be considered as good proxies for EUV. However, for the sunspot maximum years 2000-2002, the EUV evolution differed from the evolutions of F10 and Mg II, so that these would be unsatisfactotry proxies for EUV.
Page(s): 215-222
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/19331
ISSN: 0975-105X (Online); 0367-8393 (Print)
Appears in Collections:IJRSP Vol.33(4) [August 2004]

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
IJRSP 33(4) 215-222.pdf1.81 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in NOPR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.