NISCAIR Online Periodicals Repository

NISCAIR ONLINE PERIODICALS REPOSITORY (NOPR)  >
NISCAIR PUBLICATIONS >
Research Journals >
Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics (IJRSP) >
IJRSP Vol.40 [2011] >
IJRSP Vol.40(2) [April 2011] >


Title: Directional muon telescopes not useful for estimating the magnitudes of Forbush decreases and geomagnetic storms
Authors: Kane, R P
Keywords: Forbush decrease
Coronal mass ejection (CME)
Interplanetary coronal mass ejection (ICME)
Geomagnetic storms
Cosmic rays (CR)
Muon anisotropy
Issue Date: Apr-2011
Publisher: NISCAIR-CSIR, India
PACS No.: 96.60.ph; 96.50.Bh; 96.50.sh
Abstract: When a coronal mass ejection (CME) escapes from the Sun and spreads in interplanetary space as a blob (termed as interplanetary CME, ICME), galactic cosmic rays (CR) passing through the same get modulated and one can detect anisotropies in data of muon directional telescopes located on the Earth. For 15 severe storms (Dst < -200 nT) during solar cycle 23 (1996-2006), the hourly data for Nagoya muon directional telescopes showed that for each one of these storms, there were anisotropies in one or more of the 16 directional telescopes. The maximum magnitudes of the anisotropies were ~1% or less and had reasonably good relationships (correlation +0.75) with the magnitudes of the following Forbush decrease (FD) in the muons in the vertical direction V (muon V) and also in CR neutron monitor (NM) data at Climax, Colorado, USA. But a correlation of ~0.75 implies a variance explained (square of correlation) of only ~55%, leaving ~45% as random component. With geomagnetic Dst(min), the muon anisotropy magnitudes had a still lower correlation (+0.44±0.20), which would imply a variance explained of only ~20%, leaving ~80% as random component, resulting in regression prediction errors exceeding 50%. Thus, the anisotropies were only a rough indicator of there being some anomalous structure out in the interplanetary space, but the magnitudes of the anisotropies could not give any accurate indication of the magnitudes of the Forbush decreases that may follow, much less for the magnitudes of the geomagnetic storm Dst(min) that may follow.
Page(s): 76-84
CC License:  CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India
ISSN: 0975-105X (Online); 0367-8393 (Print)
Source:IJRSP Vol.40(2) [April 2011]

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
IJRSP 40(2) 76-84.pdf382.04 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
 Current Page Visits: 607 
Recommend this item

 

National Knowledge Resources Consortium |  NISCAIR Website |  Contact us |  Feedback

Disclaimer: NISCAIR assumes no responsibility for the statements and opinions advanced by contributors. The editorial staff in its work of examining papers received for publication is helped, in an honorary capacity, by many distinguished engineers and scientists.

CC License Except where otherwise noted, the Articles on this site are licensed under Creative Commons License: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India

Copyright © 2012 The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. All rights reserved.

Powered by DSpace Copyright © 2002-2007 MIT and Hewlett-Packard | Compliant to OAI-PMH V 2.0

Home Page Total Visits: 624451 since 06-Feb-2009  Last updated on 13-Nov-2014Webmaster: nopr@niscair.res.in