NISCAIR Online Periodicals Repository

NISCAIR ONLINE PERIODICALS REPOSITORY (NOPR)  >
NISCAIR PUBLICATIONS >
Research Journals >
Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics (IJRSP) >
IJRSP Vol.40 [2011] >
IJRSP Vol.40(1) [February 2011] >


Title: Characteristics of type II solar radio bursts in the meter and deca-hectometer wavelengths
Authors: Prakash, O
Umapathy, S
Shanmugaraju, A
Kalaivani, P Pappa
Ebenezer, E
Keywords: Coronal mass ejection
Solar flare
Solar radio burst
Radio burst type II
Issue Date: Feb-2011
Publisher: NISCAIR-CSIR, India
PACS No.: 96.60.ph; 96.60.qe
Abstract: A detailed investigation on type II radio bursts pairs in the meter and deca-hectometer wavelength ranges (herein after m-and DH-type II bursts) and their associated flares and CMEs observed during the period 2000-2005 has been presented. Out of 38 events, only 27 events have been selected, which are the CMEs following the associated flares (AF-CMEs). The selected events are divided into two classes using the drift plots: class I, where DH-type II bursts are not continuation of m-type II bursts; and class II, where DH-type II bursts are extensions of m-type II bursts. The study consists of: i) properties of the m- and DH-type II bursts for class I and class II; and ii) characteristics of type II bursts and their associated flares and CMEs. It has been found that there are significant differences in class I and class II type II bursts pairs and they are associated with flares and CMEs (duration, ending frequency, m-type II speed). The class I m-type II bursts have speeds much slower than the class II events. The correlation between the starting frequencies and flare start-CME onset delay times of m- and DH-type II bursts has been found. Out of 27 type II bursts pairs, 26% are associated with class I events, i.e. the DH-type II is not continuous of m-type II burst, which is consistent with two types of coronal shocks model. The remaining 74% of class II events (DH-type II bursts is extension of m-type II bursts) are associated with single shocks model. From these results, it is concluded that the class I type II bursts pairs (m- and DH-type II bursts) tend to be related with flares and CMEs and class II events tend to be related with CMEs.
Page(s): 11-20
CC License:  CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India
ISSN: 0975-105X (Online); 0367-8393 (Print)
Source:IJRSP Vol.40(1) [February 2011]

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
IJRSP 40(1) 11-20.pdf188.47 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
 Current Page Visits: 604 
Recommend this item

 

National Knowledge Resources Consortium |  NISCAIR Website |  Contact us |  Feedback

Disclaimer: NISCAIR assumes no responsibility for the statements and opinions advanced by contributors. The editorial staff in its work of examining papers received for publication is helped, in an honorary capacity, by many distinguished engineers and scientists.

CC License Except where otherwise noted, the Articles on this site are licensed under Creative Commons License: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India

Copyright © 2012 The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. All rights reserved.

Powered by DSpace Copyright © 2002-2007 MIT and Hewlett-Packard | Compliant to OAI-PMH V 2.0

Home Page Total Visits: 570481 since 06-Feb-2009  Last updated on 14-Aug-2014Webmaster: nopr@niscair.res.in